Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

Short battery life

• Members

I see a very short battery lifetime with my test BLU-Button1 of only about 1 month.

BTButtonbattery.thumb.JPG.9166bc44f4873ac75b504206216a74f0.JPG

First battery was delievert with the blu-button1. I use myself batteries from Energizer.

What is going wrong?

Device is not paired, no beacon-mode. It's only sending it's data when pushed. Gateway is a PlusPlugS. Firmware is actual. Used about 5 to 10 times a day.

My question to all:

What is your experience?

Edit:
Last state:Battery shows 70% before it was empty.

Edited by 66er

• Administrators

No abnormalities with increased battery consumption with my 3 BLE devices

1x BLU Button1 and 2x BLU DW are currently at 100% despite daily use - all with last OTA-Update

1x BLU DW in continuous beacon mode since the debug app was released - without any significant battery consumption.

BLU-Button1: What is remarkable, however, is a reduction in battery voltage during stressful testing (reduces to 70%), if you allow it a long break of several hours, the charge indicators go back to 100%

8 hours ago, 66er said:

I see a very short battery lifetime with my test BLU-Button1 of only about 1 month.

BTButtonbattery.thumb.JPG.9166bc44f4873ac75b504206216a74f0.JPG

First battery was delievert with the blu-button1. I use myself batteries from Energizer.

What is going wrong?

Device is not paired, no beacon-mode. It's only sending it's data when pushed. Gateway is a PlusPlugS. Firmware is actual. Used about 5 to 10 times a day.

My question to all:

What is your experience?

Edit:
Last state:Battery shows 70% before it was empty.

One of the first firmwares has a problem where the button is pressed for a long time, which means that your pants are tight. We are making changes to fix this in future FW releases. The latest FW shouldn't have this problem.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:31 PM, jeroenvdd said:

Can we find a list of the firmware versions somewhere?
and currently you can only upgrade firmware with the debug app or not?

At the moment seems like there's two possibilities: need to update and known needed to update. When you connect to BLU Button1 with pairing inside Shelly BLE Debug app for Android, it will tell that it's unsupported version and needed to be updated.

If the update process fail once or twice, it can still recover. Happens some times. I updated all 14 in stock devices at my webshop (FI only) and one did fail at first try. All needed to be updated. All colours included.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/14/2023 at 7:58 AM, 66er said:

Battery has still 100% . 😀

So, it seems to be fixed as written in the new firmware. 👍

Battery was empty again in less than 1 month. ☹️

But i think to have found the reason in all my 5 BT-Button.

The problem (which I suspect) lies in the contact pressure of the contact spring of the negative terminal of the battery.

In my opinion, the factory pretension is not sufficient, which leads to poor contact. I noticed the whole thing when I accidentally restarted a BT button, which can be explained by a loss of contact. At the same time, the BT button was very warm!

Screenshot_20230604_081957_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.3cb1316172e6fa846779838315cfc709.jpg

The - contact in its original state

and here after my correction :

Federkorrektur.JPG.11bc92d0149fb3343f65734e8f72a7a3.JPG

With this small adjustment, 1 BT button now runs for over 1 month and still has a battery indicator of 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both two in own test use 100% battery with only the software update done. Before update the battery ran dry very soon. Tried to take battery out and place again in couple of times, it will show soon only 25% and recovevr slowly but after a while it show again 100%. So loose contact is possible.

Edited by terae
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

spacer.png

Recently bought a BLU button 1 and noticed that the battery was dropping fast. Found this thread and did the fix suggested by Stefan.

The result is kind of amazing. This button has been still on a table, no movement at all. Can't say for sure yet if it's the improved connection that solved the problem or if removing the battery caused a reset that got it out of some battery draining state. But for anyone with battery problems, this is certainly worth trying.

• Like 1