Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Shelly Wall Display firmware 2.0

12 hours ago, Gábor Tályai said:

Yes, we really really leally really want this feature too 🙂

I spent almost a month trying to play any MP3 file on a Shelly trigger. I managed to get it working with Amazon Echo Dot and Studio speakers using VoiceMonkey. Amazon itself works well, and the text-to-speech feature likely works fine in the available languages, but unfortunately, it doesn't speak Hungarian 🙂

We currently have a little over 100 Shelly devices installed. 

We use the Shelly-triggered voice response for the following exercises:

• If there is a temperature difference greater than 2 degrees between the inside and outside, the door sensors will trigger the message "Close the xxx door, the building is cooling/heating" after 3 minutes.
  • Break signals and breakfast, lunch (first and second turn) call-in, bon appétit.
  • We have 20+ electric cars, 90 kWp solar panel and 120 kWh battery.  Depending on the battery charge level and current production and consumption, as well as the number of cars currently on the charger, we ask our staff when it is possible to charge the electric cars.
  • Different larger areas have received one Shelly switch with 4 buttons each, which can be used to call the following to the current room: 1. Warehouse worker, 2. Store assistant, 3. Cleaner, 4. Maintenance worker.
  • The PGM output of our Paradox alarm control panel triggers the wake-up and sleep of the buildings. The morning activation of the different groups (boilers, hand dryers, water machines, door locks, etc) informs the cleaners arriving before normal working hours.

It works now, but it would be much simpler to use Shelly device-device communication directly, or to use it on a local network. The current one is a bit slow, it takes 3-5 seconds from script start to sound.

Thanks, we will extend the Media.MediaPlayer.Play RPC call to play one file and exit. Currently it will continue playing files until the list is exhausted.

• Like 1

Hello.

I just bought 2 displays for testing and I really like the display.

Is it possible to have suggestions / comment for the UI / display or is this the wrong place for that?

Best Regards!

2 hours ago, Dimitar Buckoff said:

Thanks, we will extend the Media.MediaPlayer.Play RPC call to play one file and exit. Currently it will continue playing files until the list is exhausted.

Thank you very much in advance. Do you have any more detailed information or documentation about this Media.MediaPlayer.Play RPC? I'm still quite a beginner; I had my first Shelly Basic training on Tuesday :)

On 7/17/2024 at 2:29 AM, bollar said:

In 2.0 release, it appears that location lat/lon are still not saved. If I enter custom coordinates, it reverts to another location 100 km away, pulling up an inaccurate weather forecast.

This will be implemented in 2.0.1

• Like 3

I seem to be unable to add custom UI elements to the Wall Display using 2.0.0-stable.

I performed a factory reset and reconfigued everything to rule out stale state, but I just cannot customize any of the UI settings.

What am I missing? Is there already documentation or release notes for the new v2.0 features availble?

Edited by jhausherr

Hi.

We use RGBW devices and the GUI is good but could be a little improved as there is no possibility to select a color and the tile is bigger then the frame, so we need to swipe to get to all controls of 1 device.

What I'm missing is more precis color control and RGBW slider, favourite colors for quick selection like these pictures:

(Sorry for my bad photoshop 🤣

Could this be adjusted in a future update?

RGBWColorwheel.thumb.jpg.c78a403946655318c2eacb214f045b51.jpgRGBWslider.thumb.jpg.7eb4887da6aac9da432fe04a9c147e59.jpg

• Like 1

I have used the display now a while and I really like it, and would love some small tweaks as it has great potential!

Tweaks

• Add date and weekdays to the display & sleep screen, could be auto changing or smaller text (customisable in settings)
  • Control over the screen brightness and timeout even in thermostat settings.
  • ON / OFF status could perhaps be more clear, the white background is a little confusing (for me) but perhaps i get used to it.
  • On/Off on RGBW card is all over the card, i find myself pressing on/off when i want to control brightness.
  • Possibility to replace power reading for action in small and big cards for all devices so have real buttons.
  • Adjust the thermostat a little for us with big hands 🖐️ so the buttons are a little bigger (again sorry for the photoshop)
    • Thermostat.thumb.jpg.41996cca084c36e588943a1bb8fd7bdb.jpg

Bugs?

• Autodimming of display after 5 sec
    • There is a little bug, so even if you touch the screen it dims down (after 5 sec), would love settings for this to set time.
  • Removing the radio does not remove it from the sleep screen so it can still be used.

1 hour ago, Martin_ said:

Hi.

We use RGBW devices and the GUI is good but could be a little improved as there is no possibility to select a color and the tile is bigger then the frame, so we need to swipe to get to all controls of 1 device.

What I'm missing is more precis color control and RGBW slider, favourite colors for quick selection like these pictures:

(Sorry for my bad photoshop 🤣

Could this be adjusted in a future update?

RGBWColorwheel.thumb.jpg.c78a403946655318c2eacb214f045b51.jpgRGBWslider.thumb.jpg.7eb4887da6aac9da432fe04a9c147e59.jpg

Your Photoshop is not that bad as you claim 😉 At least you convey the idea in an understandable manner.

Anyway, both of those versions were actually considered, tested and rejected. You can't get precision on this screen. Hence the one that you see with the predefined colours.

The thermostat page has also been discussed far and wide, there were quite noisy quarrels on it and what you see now is what will remain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dimitar Buckoff said:

Your Photoshop is not that bad as you claim 😉 At least you convey the idea in an understandable manner.

well thank you 😀

Anyway, both of those versions were actually considered, tested and rejected. You can't get precision on this screen. Hence the one that you see with the predefined colours.

I see, that is too bad. I do see it differently, the level 0-100% works well, so at least the rgbw slider option should work well enough.

What about syncing the colours from the app? There I can save colours, so having the favourite colours show up instead or alternate of the predefined colors would work great!?

The thermostat page has also been discussed far and wide, there were quite noisy quarrels on it and what you see now is what will remain.

Ok, thanks for the information. I will have to get a small stylus then 😀

But going back to the previous point of precision, for me the icons need to be big enough to be easy to hit (with big fingers) for the greatest precision and not waste screen real estate. Too bad it’s not something that will change.

Perhaps I’m a bit picky about it, but I have designed GUIs for Crestron so it’s something I really enjoy.

I am disappointed with my Shelly Wall Display. It tries to connect to several sites in China even though I have disabled cloud. I don't like this sort of behavior at all.

How do I update the firmware without the device connecting to China ? Is there an IP-address available for such updates (to be added to FW allowed list) ?

• Like 1

• QA members

@Dimitar Buckoff I have been testing 2.0 production for a few days and I am happy to confirm that the crash has been fixed. 

The playback using the internal speaker continues to be rock solid, no issues whatsoever. The volume control works well even for my big hands.

Using external speaker still suffers from old problem - the playback stops by itself after a minute or two. 100% reproducible. Not a big deal though.

The only feature I really miss is the support for AAC+ stations.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 9:51 AM, TheRegister Unique said:

Using external speaker still suffers from old problem - the playback stops by itself after a minute or two. 100% reproducible. Not a big deal though.

Thank you! You feedback means a lot.

There are two reasons for the playback to stop without your command:

1. The radio stream is interrupted - network error, too many packet drops, etc.
    - In this case the player should try to start playing the radio stream again;
  2. The speaker is disconnected
    - This looks more like the culprit here. Did you get the chance to try with another speaker?

Hi Dimitar & crew,

AWESOME I'm now on the 2.0.0-beta3 and love it!!! Especially discovering 

One suggestion though: I'd really like to be able to get more settings on the screensaver:

- Necessity for me: Ability to disable the temperature and humidity values displaying in the screensaver, as these are not relevant to me, especially in screen saver)

- Necessity for me: Ideally also (in line with an earlier request in this thread) ability to disable display of the temperature, humidity and power in the top bar of the main display. -> much more useful use of the interface real estate in my view.

- Nice to have: ability to reposition the elements displayed in the screensaver (time, picture, media player) 

- Dream for me: Ability to play music files or playlists stored elsewhere (NAS/Spotify/YouTube playlist/UPnP?)

Otherwise, excellent progress making this an excellent product!!!

Thanks again for the great work!

• Like 3

On 7/19/2024 at 2:57 PM, ETT said:

I am disappointed with my Shelly Wall Display. It tries to connect to several sites in China even though I have disabled cloud. I don't like this sort of behavior at all.

How do I update the firmware without the device connecting to China ? Is there an IP-address available for such updates (to be added to FW allowed list) ?

I tested the FW update with Shelly 1PM. The IPv4 of 35.205.173.252 with port 443 enables the FW update successfully. For the Shelly Wall Dsiplay that does not work.

• QA members
20 hours ago, Dimitar Buckoff said:

Thank you! You feedback means a lot.

There are two reasons for the playback to stop without your command:

1. The radio stream is interrupted - network error, too many packet drops, etc.
    - In this case the player should try to start playing the radio stream again;
  2. The speaker is disconnected
    - This looks more like the culprit here. Did you get the chance to try with another speaker?

Thank you for your message.

When using the built-in speaker, a radio station plays for hours without any issues while the playback of the same station using external BT speaker always stops within a couple of mins. I've run this test many times, always the same result. Of course I do not run the tests simultaneously but still ...

I will try to dig a different BT speaker and report back results.

• Like 1

Addinig UI Elements with 2.0.0-stable does not work as documented in the first post

To do that you need to swipe from top of the screen and choose "+" button. Then follow the on-screen instructions. 

If I swipe down on the display, it just triggers a toggle of the relay, turning the light on/off.

Can anybody tell me how to add UI elements?

Thanks

17 hours ago, ETT said:

I tested the FW update with Shelly 1PM. The IPv4 of 35.205.173.252 with port 443 enables the FW update successfully. For the Shelly Wall Dsiplay that does not work.

I want to use all my Shellys without any connection to the internet (or cloud), so a dedicated and isolated LAN only. That does apply to all other Shelly devices I have so far (eg Pro 3EM) . Now Shelly Wall Display seems to be an exception to this philosophy.

I managed to update the Wall Display FW to 2.0.0 by sharing an internet connection from my iPhone.

However, anything beyond that ie normal use ie adding some of my Shelly devices to the Wall Display does not work without unlimited internet connection and cloud, which most likely is also required for all Shelly devices that are included to the Wall Display.

The above principle of operation is in severe conflict with the first ad statement in the Shelly web site (Why to choose Shelly):

”No Cloud required! 

Control your Shelly devices locally without connecting them to an external cloud or server.”

I would not have bought the Wall Display at all if this requirement had been clearly expressed in conjunction with the Shelly Wall Display.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 3:39 PM, Wazzco said:

- Necessity for me: Ideally also (in line with an earlier request in this thread) ability to disable display of the temperature, humidity and power in the top bar of the main display. -> much more useful use of the interface real estate in my view.

+1 and also possibility to change them into buttons / scenes / virtual devices, for static usage buttons, (like fixed HW buttons)  (All On, All Off, etc that is used all the time) would be great.

They can be the same size, but using them as static buttons that are always there for quick access.

And lastly, to change the values to other things if we want to keep them.

Edit.

Be able to turn off the clock / radio/ etc from the screensaver when showing pictures, also set brightness when showing a static picture. 
I use swipe to control lights, so would be perfect to upload an image displaying swipe gestures when sleeping.

Edited by Martin_