Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

Linear Actuator

Stayeazy

Is there a Shelly relay switch that can run a 12vdc linear actuator. I’m assuming it will need 2 relays, one for each direction.  I’m looking for it to be powered by 12vdc as well. I’m planning on running it with a car battery hooked up to battery tender so that it will work if there is no power.   The actuator will open and close a chicken coop door so it needs to be reliable. 

Both sound promising. I have limited experience so instruction would have to be geared toward a 7 y/o…make that 5 y/o for both wiring and getting it (them) to work on my network. Which do you think would be most reliable?  

• Members
Posted (edited)

Found a solution which can be calibrated:

image.thumb.jpeg.4029127529e96d922baddb900ed7fa47.jpeg

The only trade-off is two power supplies are needed. The Shelly 2.5 may be easily replaced by Shelly plus 2PM. Beneath the two 12V DC power supplies two relays with 12V DC coils are used (A and B). Both relays need a single NO/NC contact.

Addendum: For a chicken door, calibration is not necessary. Will look for another sketch…

Edited by thgoebel
  • Like 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, thgoebel said:

Found a solution which can be calibrated:

Wow! Very nice solution. Thanks for that.

The basic requirement here is that there are integrated limit switches that stop the motor and thereby reduce the power consumption on the power supply, right?
The power supply's idle consumption may then need to be adjusted via Idle Power Threshold in the settings...

• Thanks 1

• Members

This sketch would be appropriate cause it uses a relay module “off-the-shelf”:

IMG_1059.thumb.jpeg.d23ed39fde53169b54537394c8fca451.jpeg

These relay modules are offered for 5V, 12V and 24V DC supply. Please use the 12V version! A Shelly UNi plus may be used alternatively. In this case pin numbering is different!

• Members
57 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Very nice solution.

…but not suitable for chicken doors and supply with rechargeable batteries!

Due to the fact the full motor power, separate for each direction of movement, is flowing through the Shelly at mains voltage level, a calibration is done “as usual”. Trade-off is the two power supplies necessary…

Thank you Thgoebel. 
I’m not in favor of the two power supply solution.
However, the drawing you made with the pictures is more like what I need. Which Shelly is the one on the right?  
Now, how do I set this system up in Shelly’s app?  

• Members

On the right is a relay module which is offered by various sources over the web:

Reichelt

What setup are you thinking of? We didn’t talk about switches or push buttons yet, so it‘s quite simple to control: One channel of Shelly UNI opens the door, the other closes it. Both channels on or off: Stop motion of chicken door. The door must have end position switches or a limited torque at both ends of the working line.

Would this video depict your drawn version but with the Shelly Uni in place of his timer switch?  

I’m wanting to control my actuator through WiFi the same way the guy in this video is controlling his actuator with that timer. With the Shelly Uni would I be able to control it via WiFi through the Shelly app and does the app have a way of setting it to run on a timer or by sunrise sunset?  
again thank you for your time and your brain.