Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

Is anyone familiar with using a Shelly with a contactor? I have the Shelly pro em50 and an electrodepot HC1-63. I've wired it up as shown in the Shelly schematic, but the Shelly won't activate the contactor. When I hook the AC directly to the contactor via a standard toggle light switch it works just fine though. I suspect that the current the coil needs is more than the Shelly can provide, but I cannot find this supported in any of the documentation.

Screenshot_20240219_091141_Firefox.jpg

image.png

image-1.png

• Members

Unfortunately, the diagram doesn’t show how you did connect the relay coil! Suppose you wired the coil directly to pin I and O of Shelly pro EM-50?! Cause pins I and O are representing a dry contact, nothing will happen. You’ll have to connect a live wire to pin I, a wire fron pin O to one leg of the coil and the second leg of the coil to neutral…

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:38 AM, thgoebel said:

Unfortunately, the diagram doesn’t show how you did connect the relay coil! Suppose you wired the coil directly to pin I and O of Shelly pro EM-50?! Cause pins I and O are representing a dry contact, nothing will happen. You’ll have to connect a live wire to pin I, a wire fron pin O to one leg of the coil and the second leg of the coil to neutral…

I tried connecting the relay on the hot/live side and on the neutral side of the contactor. Only the neutral side worked. An electrician I know warned me off switching neutral, so that wouldn't work. I also couldn't find a UL listed contactor for what I needed, switching 2x 20A circuits with a coil that requires less than 2A at 110-120VAC. I have since returned everything as I couldn't take the risk with my parent's home insurance. After all, I'm already taking a big enough risk with the other Shelly products I've installed since almost none of their products are UL listed, and certainly none of mine are.