🌟 NEW Shelly Products Reveal Video! 🌟 NEUE Shelly-Produkte-Enthüllungsvideo! 🌟 ×
NOTICE / HINWEIS: iOS 18 Update and Today Widgets ×

Replacing a potentiometer (using the add-on)

Hello!

I'm trying to replace a potentiometer that's being used to dim a LED light. 

Similar to what this poster found, I needed voltage output from my Shelly 0-10V dimmer. So I followed the instructions in this post and verified that I have voltage between + and - now.

However, my application does not work. I've probably not wired it correctly. I've attached a photo of the potentiometer. I realize now that I probably wired it wrong. I connected 0-10V as + and 12V as - for some reason. The GND wire I left disconnected.

Should I connect GND to - and if so, what do I do with the 12V wire?

Many thanks!

IMG_1307.jpeg

Edit: The LED light I'm trying to dim is a Lumatek ATS200W PRO. They have a digital/programmable control unit as an accessory, but it's ~400 euros and it's not even Wi-Fi connected. I feel like this should be a fairly straight-forward thing, as the included dimmer is so simple.

Edited by jesper

That was kind of obvious, but typing it out made it easier to realize.

It sort of works now, but when I set lower values than 80% the light flickers. The potentiometer is just a rather stupid 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% indexed values, and none of those settings caused any flickering using the original dimmer.

Any ideas of what could have gone wrong? It's wired according to the schematic from the linked thread:

IMG_1078.thumb.jpeg.423786e0ca21cb2250437243116ed639.jpeg

Well, obviously I didn't need the Add-On when the wiring was correct. But it doesn't change the fact that the lights are flickering when dimmed. I don't know what could be the cause of that, as the measured voltage on the terminals are stable and correspond to expected values depending on what percentage I choose in the Shelly app.

• Members

It would be brilliant to get a bit more info about the LED driver and its specs you want to control! Obviously, the driver doesn’t like PWM signal, but a clean DC voltage. If this should be evident, the new Shelly Dimmer 0/1-10V PM would be the best product: It produces a (nearly) clean DC voltage between 0 and 10 V!

18 minutes ago, thgoebel said:

It would be brilliant to get a bit more info about the LED driver and its specs you want to control! Obviously, the driver doesn’t like PWM signal, but a clean DC voltage. If this should be evident, the new Shelly Dimmer 0/1-10V PM would be the best product: It produces a (nearly) clean DC voltage between 0 and 10 V!

Thanks for the suggestion, thgoebel! I'm willing to take a bet on that.

I added more details about the light as an edit to my original post, but I'm not sure if that helps. Lumatek doesn't provide much info, but they mention that you can dim it "with any other Control System that utilises 0-10V output signal".