Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Relay for Extractor Fan

I have a Vent Axia 498502 MVDC-MSH Multivent Uniflex Extractor Unit that I wish to control the boost mode by using a smart switch. I am hoping that I can find a solution using a Shelly Relay.

I am not an electrician, reading the manual for the extractor unit here:

https://asset.eezybridge.com/ba7b9546-29dd-40c4-87a7-885627281b87/VA_LC_Sent_Multivent_FW.pdf

I see that a low voltage 5V output can be switched to turn boost on. However, there is no neutral, only ground.

can someone help make a recommendation on how I would best achieve this please

• Members
Posted (edited)

Switching inductive loads (e.g. motors) with Shelly Dimmer2 is not recommended:

IMG_1200.thumb.jpeg.832f097a06ab83f2d2b91ca40dbeed52.jpeg

(Excerpt of manual).

To your issue: In the Vent box, there is live and neutral. You may control the vent with low voltage signals, which can be driven by a Shelly UNI plus. Even the supply voltage of the Shelly UNI plus may be furnished by the vent (5V DC), if I read the manual correctly.

Edited by thgoebel
  • Like 1

in theory, the dimmer seems like the correct choice here but it was not designed for this type of use case, and as @thgoebel said when it's for an inductive load this will kill the device and cause more harm than good. 

This is use case I would make sure to read the instructions and know what is going on in that fan unit. 
Adding something afterwords to control the boost factor might harm that device's controller. 

Thank you for the responses, super helpful and I truly appreciate it.

thgoebel, on your updated diagram, the RS485 connections are labelled +5V and COM

The extractor connections are +5V and GROUND. I want to double check, does Ground from Shelly Plus Uni go to GROUND on the RS485 connection on the extractor?

sorry if this is a silly question!

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback and the update! The missing connection should have been detected right from the design stage. Obviously, this connection is essential for proper operations…

Edited by thgoebel