Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

Shelly pro 3EM - wiring question

Hi

I have the Shelly pro 3EM and my fuse board has 3 phase coming in,

• 1x phase is for the ground floor, (LA)
  • 2nd phase is for the garden (with its own fuse board outside in ip67 cabinet (LB)
  • 3rd phase is for the basement (LC)

IMG_3148.thumb.jpeg.661b3e22b0dff0918537fb7d7d0324ce.jpeg

I am going to install the Shelly (have electrician lined up) in 2 weeks time but am not sure how to wire in the LB and LC in terminals B and C as there are no 10amp fuses in the board for phase 2 and 3 as those 2x phase have their own fuse board in the basement and the garden

Any tips? 

Thanks

• Members

Excellent, I cannot get hold of the first 2 suggested products quick enough but the wago ones are widely available

I would get those 2x wago’s wired in to the breakers for the basement and garden in the main fuse board and this will provide the 10a protection in case of an overload and will also ensure correct measurements are taken and will take power for LC from one of the 10a fuses in the main board.

I understand that LC actually powers the Shelly Pro 3EM so will connect that to Phase 1, Phase 2 will remain LB and Phase 3 will be connected to LA

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Shelly installed but we could not get hold of the glass fuses so only wired up phase C. I got accurate data for that phase however something odd started to happen

the property is supplied with 8kva power (20amps 3 phase), this is done via a main electricity box outside with a 40amp fuse and then a main 40amp fuse in the fuse board inside the house

.IMG_4404.thumb.jpeg.c7f6fced44c8161d6e213730a2bada95.jpeg

about 1 day after installing the main fuse outside kept tripping, this has only happened once before in the 3 years and since installing the Shelly it happened about 4x times, I have now removed the Shelly and this has stopped happening. 

I don’t believe the Shelly has any settings that can cause it to do anything like this and all I can think of is that this is either a massive coincidence and we are using too many amps in the house or the Shelly is somehow causing this issue.

attached are the pictures of the fuseboard pre and post installation)

IMG_4326.thumb.jpeg.6c62a3df4b3b756f0940cdc30b4bf57e.jpeg

IMG_4335.thumb.jpeg.a181faee87427047ac71994168c7a2e0.jpeg

I was getting accurate reading for Phase C

Apart from not having wired up the 10amp fuses for Phase A + B (garden and basement) can you see anything wrong with this installation?

IMG_4334.jpeg

On 6/1/2024 at 11:56 PM, Verschlimmbesserung said:

I understand that LC actually powers the Shelly Pro 3EM so will connect that to Phase 1, Phase 2 will remain LB and Phase 3 will be connected to LA

Important: This will give incorrect values for 3-phase measurement. The 3 phases are phase-shifted at an angle of 120 degrees. The Shelly makes a 4-quadrant measurement and takes this phase shift into account. If you swap individual phases, the calculation is no longer correct.

On 6/17/2024 at 5:41 AM, Verschlimmbesserung said:

about 1 day after installing the main fuse outside kept tripping, this has only happened once before in the 3 years and since installing the Shelly it happened about 4x times, I have now removed the Shelly and this has stopped happening. 

I don’t believe the Shelly has any settings that can cause it to do anything like this and all I can think of is that this is either a massive coincidence and we are using too many amps in the house or the Shelly is somehow causing this issue.

A fuse should not actually trip in this constellation, problems often occur in relation to an RCD (residual current circuit breaker, also known as FI).
I can only speculate, but it could be that the connection of neutral (N, blue wire) to the Shelly in combination with phase C is a problem. Where does the N that is connected to the Shelly come from? Unfortunately the RCD is very difficult to see in the photo, how is N wired there?

I would generally recommend having an electrician look at this. The malfunction you describe should not actually occur if the Shelly is installed correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4326.thumb.jpeg.3fe939e07ff7b81fe7999418e70cac5e.jpeg

Had an electrician out, the issue seems to be with the main power supply, and the installation of the Shelly was just pure coincidence 

I marked N in red, it goes to the differential switch (which is not triggered)

I am not there at the moment but back in August, will connect the other 2x Phases with the fuses

In the mean while local electricity supplier have been told of the issue and are going to investigate, 

IMG_4326.jpeg

• Like 1