Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

Sanity check - need a separate on/off switch?

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly -- the 0-10v is purely dimmer from min to max.  To turn the light off, I need a separate shelly wired to control power to the light (while leaving power to the dimmer on).  That seems... sad, too bad there's no line relay available as well, but there's not that I see.  Right?

It turns out that the 0-10v I had is defective.  The LED driver actually does work with a "sink" type device including the Shelly, but the Shelly did not work consistently. I found this out when I was testing with a meter, and would move the device - it would work.  Move it a bit differently it stopped.  Picked it up and found some positions worked, some did not.  All wires tight.  Opened it up, didn't find anything loose.  Put it together and it seemed to be working in all positions but I no longer trusted it since I did not actually fix anything, so returned it.

The new device looks like a much better choice but didn't see it available in the US, found something about the same from zooz.  The included relay is a very nice feature.

• Shelly
On 6/1/2024 at 3:42 AM, Linwood said:

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly -- the 0-10v is purely dimmer from min to max.  To turn the light off, I need a separate shelly wired to control power to the light (while leaving power to the dimmer on).  That seems... sad, too bad there's no line relay available as well, but there's not that I see.  Right?

Hi Linwood.

How do you control the lights? Through app/web UI only? Do you have a physical switch/button? What led driver do you use?

On 6/11/2024 at 9:42 AM, Maria Manchovska said:

How do you control the lights? Through app/web UI only? Do you have a physical switch/button? What led driver do you use?

The drivers are LiFud LF-GLD065YS.

I control the lights through Home Assistant.  There is no physical AC switch, but instead I use Caseta Pico's (wireless remotes) wall mounted, which Home assistant senses and turns into commands to the 0-10v dimmer.   They also permit voice and web control through home assistant. 

The drivers supposedly tur noff at 0.3v and below, so it is possible (if I had gotten it working) that the shelly at 0% or 1% would have output low enough voltage to turn the drivers off, but I never got that far.  I also feel better physically turning off the AC to the drivers when not in use, so if I had used the Shelly I would also have put something like a +1 in there to control power to the drivers separately from the 0-10v dimming voltage. 

But this was all complicated by something not working properly inside the shelly.  I could hold it in my hand, with wires very firmly attached, and tip it one way and then another and have the lights be on full and dim.  I never found the cause other than finding it was inside the unit.  I opened it and could find nothing loose, and in a brief try after closing it back up it worked, but by then since I didn't fix anything visible I no longer trusted it and returned it to Amazon.