🌟 NEW Shelly Products Reveal Video! 🌟 NEUE Shelly-Produkte-Enthüllungsvideo! 🌟 ×
NOTICE / HINWEIS: iOS 18 Update and Today Widgets ×

How to detect 24V?

mircolino

I live in a condominium with a centralized heat-pump providing floor heating and cooling. In my electrical panel I have a cable that in summer has 24V and in winter is switched off (0V).
I have Home Assistant separate automations for heating and cooling. Is there a way to detect the presence of the 24V so I don't have to manually switch HA automations every season?

Edited by mircolino

1 hour ago, Rolf B. said:

There are several possibilities.
Must there be a feedback signal, voltage is now “0V”, or is 24V DC sufficient?

A simple binary switch would suffice: off (24VDC not present) is "heat" and on (24VDC present) is "cool"

@Rolf B. The idea of the online/offline shelly is interesting. The 24V on/off changes once a year so that should be OK. I'm only worried about the HA Shelly integration seeing that as an error condition of some sort? I'll experiment and report back.

I also like @thgoebel intermediate relay idea. Currently in my electrical panel the 24V is used in a ABB ESB20-20N-01 contactor to operate two dehumidifiers which, since they use cold water from the centralized heat-pump, they can only be turned on in summer. Can I simply add a ABB EH04-20N auxiliary contact to control the shelly? 

Edited by mircolino

8 hours ago, mircolino said:

HA Shelly integration seeing that as an error condition

No, 

If the Shelly is not supplied with power, the condition in Ha is unavailable (like on and off from the relay)

So this is not a error condition

IMG_2743.jpeg