Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Shelly Plus 2PM - web ui does not load after update to 1.3.2

Hi all,

I have an odd situation with some of my Shelly Plus 2PM devices after upgrading to firmware 1.3.2 (issue persists in 1.3.3).

After the update, the web ui does not load anymore on some of my devices (more than five). Tried several devices and browsers. Using web dev tools in Chrome, I could establish that the page begins loading (i.e. HTML and JS part) but then never finishes. http api and home assistant integrations continue to work perfectly.

Some of the Shelly plus 2PM devices continue to work as normal; those devices are on another access point.

When I open the Shelly's own hotspot and connect to it, the web ui works as expected, leading me to believe that the issue is wifi related.

Both APs are Zyxel and the configuration is nearly identical. Also, all shelly devices have nearly the same config (all roller shutters). All shellies are on a 'devices' subnet.

I searched the web up and down but seems the issue has not been reported so far. Any thoughts on how to fix or at least diagnose this further would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heinz,

(and apologies for the late reply, I was out sick for a couple of days).

With webui, I was referred to the on-device webui. I am not using the shelly cloud; all devices are connected to a homeassistant instance.

Attached are a few screenshots from chrome dev consolse when trying to access the device's webui. One shows the network timelne, showing how the 'download' of the webui never finishes.

It appears that when trying multiple times, different amounts of content load but never the full page, hence it does not start rendering in the browser. The other two screenshots show up to which point the content was able to load.

PS: I have update on of my devices to 1.4.0 and the issue persists.

Many thanks for any further suggestion you or others may have!

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.02.04.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.00.53.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.00.28.png

The local WebUI is a single-page webapp that should basically be loaded with a single request, size around 276 kB.

After loading, a websocket communication is used between your browser and the Shelly.

Edited by tvbshelly

Right; that's what I am seeing with the devices that work normally. For the ones that don't the web browser does not complete the loading of that webapp it seems, so the browser does not render anything.

I have now been able to also make another, even more curious observation, again pointing to some form of a wifi-related issue. And it appears to be really an edge case.

The issue goes away when my laptop connects to the shelly webui through another one of my multiple wifi access points, i.e., one that is different to the one the shelly devices that have the issue are connected to. It appears then that the issue only occurs when the shelly device and the laptop (or smartphone, tried that, too) are connected to the same wifi access point (model Zyxel NWA220AX-6E) as the shelly devices.

Which is odd because, since the shellies and my laptop/phone are on different VLANs, the packets have to go through my central router in any case. The shellies furthermore are on 2.4G whereas my laptop/phone are on 5G wifi; therefore, there should not be any direct station-to-station communication in any case. I would for now exclude a firewall/VLAN issue as all my access points have the same setup and use the same VLANs.

If any of this helps to narrow down what the issue could be, any thoughts would be highly appreciated. On the positive side, I have now a way to access the webui of the shelly devices that I could not access previously, so for now I have a mitigation.