Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Problem with shelly i4 Gen3

Pepe

hello

I use a lot of shelly devices and I'm very happy with most of them. I bought a i4 with a wall button 4 display and yesterday I start testing with it before installing. First, I try connected with the wall 4 button, but after the issue I only test with L & N inputs with same result.

I try to add it by bluetooth without success, the app detects it but when I try to add it always said that it was not available. After that I tried by wifi successfully, I could add it to my application, but the i4 is on a reboot loop. It only shows available 1 or two seconds, and after that, is disconnected again. A few seconds appears again available, but is disconnected 1 or 2 seconds later, so is impossible to do anything with it (update it for example)

I tried with reset and hard reset with same result.

hmm, the only thing I would try is make sure that the phase cable is truly phase.

Do you know how to test the cable for phase ?
I would test it one more time to make sure the cables are in the correct order if they are and the device is still doing the same thing. I would maybe login to the device directly via the IP address and update it that way.

I would also do a ping test to the device to see how it is reacting that way. It should have a solid ping test if not then the device might have a issue

If it still causing issues the only option you have it to open a support ticket and see what they say. You should be able to link this forum post as well

Posted (edited)

I checked the phase wihout results, but I tried accesing via http, and from this way I could invoke update command. I think that it was still rebooting, but the http interface let me navigate between reboots and I could invoke update command. 

The update works fine, and now, my i4 is working without reboots! Thank you!

Edited by Pepe

• 3 weeks later...

I got the same problem with now 5 off these devices. Some were installed and worked well but they all failed at about the same time. A brand new one had the same fault.
So far I have not found a solution, reset has not worked as well. I assume, there is a general problem with a batch of the i4, as now a new version (ver3) is sold.

As the device has no outputs, it is not relevant, which is phase and which is neutral. So this cannot be the reason for a problem.

I opended one device. The version I got is v0.1.1 date 2021-12-1

@violatricola
I had this happen to me some time ago. 

How I fixed it was going to the local webui of the device via the web-browser with the Ip address. I then updated the firmware from the local webui and the issue was resolved it must have been a small bug on a version of the i4. 

hope that helps 

Firmware update by direct access via local webui was possible. Update to 1.3.3 solved the problem!

With update to 1.4.0 and 1.4.2 beta the problem is there again. So setting "auto-update firmware" might be a bad decision fo the i4. 

Here are two diagnostics files. I have not noticed something strange in there, but I cannot really read them!
This i4 has the software version 1.4.0 and shows the "on-off" problem.
Strange for me is, that the IP xxx.xxx.xxx.100 is mentioned, this IP address is not used in the network and the device has .xxx102

diagnostics-shelly-plusi4-data-1.txt diagnostics-shelly-plusi4-debug-log-1.txt

• Thanks 1

Yes i also see that the IP address in the device is .102 and the SSID is "xxxxxx" this is from he looks of it a fritzbox? The signal to the Router is also don't he not great side with a -76. any chance you could increase the connectivity to the device? 

Hm, maybe the problem are two WIFI networks. I use meanwhile an Ubiquity network but the old fritzbox network is working as well. I will switch it off and see, if this changes something. 
The SSID I replaced with the "xxxx" for privacy reasons.
When I did the test, the distance to the next WIFI access point was approx. 6 m only. 

• Like 1

Good that you changed the SSID that was so strange for me

Did you take a look at the Unify Wi-Fi settings I posted. It was the most stable settings for Unify devices, i have had these settings tested on a large network with over 170 devices.

I have some Shelly i4 upgraded to latest firmware i have themm connected to a Fritzbox router. I have not tested them on other network devices.

just to make sure are the devices still disconnecting or having bad signal?

The firmware 1.4.2 is ok and I see no problems any longer!
It was obviously a firmware problem, the connection strength was never the problem (some of the faulty ones were in 2m distance to the next access points)

Mainly your advice to connect direct to the device was useful for me as a newbie! So thanks for your help

- Case closed! -

• Like 1