energy usage shows zero accumulation = zero energy usage

BUT voltage still shows 120V

monitored for 12 hours, same result

no energy in graph

but voltage graph shows 120V

WHY?

• Members
Posted (edited)

In Shelly 1PM, voltage measurement is situated before the switch. Thus, voltage indication should be steadily - independent from the state of the switch.

By the way: Power in alternating current systems is defined as Voltage by Current by Power Factor. Hence, no current flowing at a time gives no power…

Edited by thgoebel

if I only want to monitor voltage, only need to record the exact time the light switch is on or off should I use a shelly EM?
if yes, can I wire the outlet power and neutral directly into the shelly EM like I did with the shelly 1PM?
I do not want to use the shelly EM in the electrical panel and monitor an entire circuit, only want to monitor a single light switch.

or is there a better shelly product to monitor voltage for a single light switch?

A Shelly EM uses a current clamp = current transformer (CT) to measure the wire and is also connected to L of the same phase and N. The CT naturally takes up space, but the advantage is that the load current does not have to flow through the Shelly.

Alternatively, you can use a Shelly PM Mini Gen3, which is really small, can only measure (1 channel 16 A), but is inline, i.e. the measured current also flows through the Shelly.

However, I believe that a PM Mini Gen3 is not suitable, because if it is installed after the switch and gets no power, the device is off and you get no status at all.

Edited by tvbshelly