Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

i4 gen3 use for input detection

Hi!

I have a question regarding Shelly i4 gen3 device and it's inputs (specific sw1, sw2,...). It seems the device inputs are ok with 230V AC.

I would like to use it for detecting (signal) of driveway gate - let me explain: if the driveway gate motor is opening I get 230V on one wire, and if the motor is closing I get 230V on another wire. If connected to sw1 and sw2?

So, is it possible to use i4 for signaling 230V on two wires (2 inputs on sw input)?

Thank you in advance!

Regards!

Edited by Andrejs2

• Members
Posted (edited)

If I understand you correctly, you want to detect the on- or off-state of an appliance. Unfortunately, the SW input of a Shelly actor is activated by both live an neutral potential. Thus, a circuit diagram like this

IMG_1227.thumb.jpeg.c4003a82baa68cb8ecbd28bd06ed53ea.jpeg

will produce a steadily activated switch status. (Lamp symbol stands for any electrical consumer.)

Remedy is achieved by (a) dropping a relays in the circuit:

IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.d02e8c4a009891de77976907b45fff53.jpeg

or (b) inserting a resistor between load and terminal SW:

IMG_1229.thumb.jpeg.15ee8f22e5ea67143551efdcdea295bb.jpeg

Method (b) needs a well isolated resistor with 500kΩ to 1MΩ, power dissipation of 250mW or more. Please be aware of the fact that with the resistor, SW is activated by neutral potential only (e.g. the manual switch is in off-state)! To get the proper logic, „reverse input“ has to be configured in input menu.

I‘m glad to help in getting ready-to-install resistors. Please write me a PM if interested.

Edited by thgoebel
  • Like 2