Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

active power really feasible?

Gerald

I got myself a Shelly Pro 3EM to measure my total energy consumption of my house. - I installed the Shelly Pro 3EM according the documentation ... I add the clamps on the wires coming into my house right above the fuses.

See Images L1_A_Clamp:

L1_A_Clamp.thumb.jpg.2a98fd3ceb7e0b8aa2f0131b8ab2e205.jpg

L2_B_Clamp:
L2_B_Clamp.thumb.jpg.71c464d5833a046e8db8ffdb9a718ccf.jpg

L3_C_Clamp:

L3_C_Clamp.thumb.jpg.e575746c17b928b946df30cfa632e81e.jpg

The orientation is from outside the house towards the fuses as I understood the installation instructions.

The interesting thing is that the active power of L1 (A) is swinging from positive to negative and at present I have no PV-system in my house. - So only consumer are connected to the electrical network. - On L1-phase only a dishwasher is connect as "big consumer".L1_active_power.thumb.png.174b582893bc243bfeba7a2f1b0c7537.png

L2 (B) active power is also mainly negative and only the washing machine is attached to this line as "big consumer".+

L2_active_power.thumb.png.4dc4fb3d0375aedfb345f28c9db7c2d2.png

Finally L3 (C) is positive all the time...

L3_active_power.thumb.png.f33ec89551305b0c5f990d967a07661c.png

So the total active power looks like this:

total_active_power.thumb.png.fa2b3c6578a9877d871100d0f4433aed.png

the power factors of all 3 phases are positive between 0,08 and 0,49

Obpower_factors.thumb.png.4a1b43656a02a5adc102a0e6758a3731.png

Obviously I miss something here... not sure why active power becomes negative while power factors are positive. - If someone can give me a hint where my error/mistake is hidden... I would be quite grateful.

I guess no calibration is required... it should work out of the box...

Thanks,
Gerald

Posted (edited)

thanks for the response. - Each wire has about 230 V voltage between L1(A) and N; L2 and N; L3 and N and those wires are directly attached to the FI-switch.

Edited by Gerald

• Members

Sorry - you should not determine the voltage between live and neutral, but (according to the picture) the voltage between terminal A of the Shelly pro 3EM and the wire at which current clamp A is installed. This voltage has to be zero if the installation is correct. (Do the same for terminal B and clamp B, and for terminal C and clamp C.)

Ooops - yes thanks I just checked that one and this is okay and finally I found my mistake which is kind of  embarrassing… 

On the FI switch are 4 contacts for L1 to L3 and N and my estimation was the wires are connected in that sequence from left to right. Therefore I interpreted the black wire as L1 and it was the normal guideline to use black for L1 and brown for L2 and grey for L3. 

This afternoon I discovered there were a change in the guidelines back in 2003 switching brown as L1 and black as L2. As I only bought the house and didn’t made any electrical installations I gave it a shot swapped the wires for the A and B clamp.

Now for almost 2 hours I never got any negative active power values and my consumption raised to 1.3 kW.. unfortunately… 🙂

Thanks for helping me… highly appreciated…

Issue seems to be solved…

Gerald

• Like 1