Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Include Shelly 4i and four button switch into hallway lighting

I have lighting in my hallway that is controlled from four seperate switches (two 2-way switches (German Wechselschalter) and two 4-way switches (German Kreuzschalter). I want to replace one of the switches with a Shelly 4i and a four button switch to be able to open and shut my shutters when I return or leave home. The shutters already work fine. Can I achieve this by replacing one of the 2-way switches with the Shelly 4i and four button switch? Do I also need another Shelly device to be able to switch the lighting using one of the buttons on the four button switch?

I just can't seem to get my head around this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob,
The shutters are probably already equipped with Shellys, right?
If the I4 is supposed to control these and the light, then you should use buttons everywhere instead of switches. All buttons for the light and one of the 4-way button are connected to the same input on the I4. You can then control the shutters with another 2 buttons from the 4-way button. For the light, however, you will need another Shelly, e.g. a Plus 1. Everything is controlled via actions, as the I4 cannot switch anything itself.
The I4, however, requires a permanent phase and neutral conductor. (The Plus 1 also).
Another option would be to use a Plus 2 PM with a double button. One channel switches the light, and only the input of the 2nd channel is used, which controls the shutters. E.g. Short push: Open all shutters. Long push: Close all shutters.
You can also do it in a very minimalistic way with just one Shelly 1 (PM) and a single button. The general use of buttons is also a prerequisite here. All buttons are connected in parallel to the Shelly input. A short push (any button) toggles the light on/off. A double push opens the shutters, a long push closes them again (everything is controlled via actions).
Best regards
Horst

the i4 is Only an input control device it is not a relay.
The use of the i4 is to send commands to other devices to turn on and off ( or for rollers go up and down. ) 

If you remove a light switch and put an i4 in its place to turn on and off a light, you will need to put a shelly 1 or 1 pm to turn on and off the light that you removed the switch from.