Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Group Type for Shelly Plus i4 DC Devices?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am setting up a low voltage (12V) [and yes I am aware of the fire risks] Diesel Fuel Level indicator using a Shelly i4 DC.

There are 4 sensors on a "wand" which trigger one of the 4 x Shelly i4 indicators, for 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% full, which sends an email alert.

It is working (at least in my living room 🙂).

However as these are all the same device I would like to group the 4 indicators together.

However it appears you can only group devices that are either a Light, Roller, Relay or Thermostat device; none of which this falls under, as far as I can tell?

Trying to add them via the Shelly App does not work, it simply does not recognise it, either as a relay, or light; I tried.

Does this mean that it is simply not an option or am I missing something fundamental?

TIA

k.

01-.jpg

02-.jpg

03-.jpg

04-Relays.jpg

Edited by SmurfnSurf

• 1 month later...

Was bringt es denn überhaupt wenn sie Gruppiert werden? Was ist das eigentliche Ziel vom Ersteller @SmurfnSurf?
da der I4 keine Relais hat wird das auch nicht gehen

das gilt natürlich auch für den 

16 minutes ago, Hellthy said:

PM Mini Gen 3

er hat ja auch kein Relais, was ist bei dir das übergeordnete Ziel dieser Gruppe?

4 hours ago, Dreckfresse said:

What is the point of grouping them at all? What is the actual goal of the creator @SmurfnSurf?
since the I4 has no relays, that won't work either

of course this also applies to the

it doesn't have a relay, what is the overall goal of this group?

A completely reasonable question.

My current deployed environment has 29 discrete Shelly devices, presented as 34 in the cloud UI (5 are 2PMs). I think of groups as enabling visibility in addition to action targeting. In this circumstance, to enable a sorting visibility that the UI does not (seem) to permit, I was creating groups by Device Model (one group for my 2PMs, one group for my Plus Plugs, one group for my 1PM MINI gen3s, etc...).

As my environment expands, being able to sort and prioritize across a variety of unavailable categorizations might prove valuable in various contexts - troubleshooting, firmware deployment, trend-spotting, etc. Since it can be hard, at the design level, to predict all use cases and to anticipate all visibility and instrumentation requirements, I would love to see the design assumption that groups should be able to be defined based on ANY metadata variable.

Eventually, I'd also like to see dynamic groups that are defined by conditions like 'devices that exceed 10 watts, for 5 minutes'.

On 8/18/2024 at 12:37 PM, Dreckfresse said:

see

image.thumb.png.c25bb78ff0d1cdb8530a6d74adb9348a.png

Hey! That's really cool! Thank you for sharing that.

It is a little weird to be able to do that with the serial style model name and NOT with the '1pm mini gen 3' style name. That is a pretty minor grievance, tho, in the light of being able to perform that sort at all.

There are, however, more pertinent limitations to this methodology. For example:

A) I cannot further sub-sort these results using common criteria like 'alphabetically' or 'date added' or 'last edited'.

B) There is no multiselect action ability, i.e. search for all '1pm mini gen3', multiselect, and edit $variable as a group. Being able to update firmware of all, or change icon of all, or toggle inversion for all, etc.

Thinking more about this, particularly in the context of @tvbshelly's comment in this thread, I'm wondering more about how I should target or limit my observations / suggestions as they relate to functionality that is not present in the Shelly ecosystem, but is either present or easily creatable when I view my Shelly devices in Home Assistant.

In other words, does it make sense to encourage Shelly to spend dev time and resources on various UI features that I expect in a typical cloud product? Or should I encourage Shelly to focus on more backend software and hardware features while scratching my UI itch via Home Assistant? I know not everyone is using HA, so, maybe it's not an either/or kind of question. I'm curious if Shelly has a specific stance on the dichotomy, tho.

Also....removing a device from a group is a lot of clicks and a bit unintuitive.

It's really great that you put so much thought into it. It's always difficult to decide who should implement what in which platform. There are always users who don't need anything else apart from the Shelly Cloud and others who use Home Assistant (ioBroker or any other smarthome platform)  and only integrate Shelly there.

But that's exactly what the forum here is for and it's always good to submit suggestions to Shelly. @Hellthy