Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Create an automatic notification email for change of "Detached Input" State for Shelly Plus 1?

SmurfnSurf

Posted (edited)

Hi,

New user here and I did a search in "Detached Inputs" (terminology used by Shelly) but could not find anything. Apologies if I missed it :-).

I have a Garage Door opener running (and working) using a Shelly Plus 1, which performs two functions (a) The relay opens the door on a 1 second timer, which simulates a momentary switch and (b) A reed switch mounted at the door when closed, provides the door status (green line under the button = "Closed", using the "Input State Display" toggle.

I followed these instructions here and here and I like the way it works.

Note that I do not use the momentary switch option as I have the reed switch as a "Detached Input"; i.e. the Switch is separate from the Relays (see pic).

Now I would like it to send me an email when the Garage Door is opened. Note that there is a separate 433MHz button (and a remote) which opens the door, it is not only via the Shelly 1 button press. As such the only (pseudo physical) way I can tell the door is open (via whatever mechanism is used to open it) is via the Reed Switch indicator i.e. the "Detached Input" status changes from a Green Line under the switch to a Red Line (see pics for green line).

My issue is this:

Whilst there appears to be two ways for it to send to send me an email, neither one works. Apprroach 2 might be close?

Approach 1: Use a SCENE from the Shelly Web App Menu

This did not work as "Detached Input" is not a selectable status in Scenes; only the ON or OFF toggle (that opens the door) and as above, if the door is NOT opened via the Shelly but via a 433MHz Remote then I can not use the ON/OFF toggle. Fail; did not even get past first base.

Approach 2: Use an ACTION from the menu for the Plus 1 Specific IP Address 

This did not work as whilst "Detached Input" is a selectable component (ON=GREEN=Door Closed) and I can select it to "do" an action when it is OFF (OFF=RED=DOOR OPEN), the two actions are "Add URL" and "Add local action". Local actions are simply to OPEN or CLOSE the Door. This is NOT what I wan't rather I want it to send me an email that the door is open. If there was some way to automatically send en email via URL that might work. I am not sure how, as AFAIK the Shelly does not have a built-in email client?

Hopefully this is reasoanably clear and there is a simple solution that will not only help me but maybe others too.

Thanks!

k.

GDO1.jpg

GDO2.jpg

GDO3.jpg

GDO4.jpg

GDO5.jpg

GDO6.jpg

GDO7.jpg

Edited by SmurfnSurf

Posted (edited)

Thank you @Olsche, that was very quick, much appreciated. I have set it up but am a bit nervous to test it as I am unsure about which state means what as (i) One opens the Door (not desirable right now) and (ii) One just indicates the Door Status (Open/Closed).

I am 9000km away from the Shelly running this so I was (am) a bit reluctant to test it in case it goes haywire and actually opens the Garage Door and it stays open until I get back there 🙂

So if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that the "Input State" will be reflective of (a) the status of the little Green or Little Red line (associated with the Reed Switch) AND NOT (b) whether it has a Grey Ring (OFF) or Blue Ring (ON)? 

And thus I can use that to trigger the email in the Scene? This is where I was a little confused but looking at the "Input State Identifier" (Red or Green line, it makes sense, although what threw me is the "active" nature of the terminology "Turn Off" i.e. a command to "DO SOMETHING" vs what I think it should say is "Turned Off", which is simply indicative of the State of the Device.

For completeness, is the "Output State" Identifier thus associated with the Grey/Blue ring in this case?

TIA

k.

0-Input State Display.jpg

1-Trigger.jpg

2-TurnOff.jpg

3-Desired State.jpg

4-Notify.jpg

5-OpenDoor.jpg

6-Complete.jpg

Edited by SmurfnSurf
Clarity

• Shelly
12 minutes ago, SmurfnSurf said:

For completeness, is the "Output State" Identifier thus associated with the Grey/Blue ring in this case?

Correct, the output status is the blue ring around the switch symbol, the input status is the green or red bar in the switch symbol (if activated)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Correct, the output status is the blue ring around the switch symbol, the input status is the green or red bar in the switch symbol (if activated)

Thank you! As above what threw me a bit was the "active" nature of the terminology "Turn Off" i.e. a command to "DO SOMETHING" vs what I think it should say is "Turned Off", which is simply indicative of the State of the Device.

2-TurnOff.jpg

Edited by SmurfnSurf