Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Shelly PRO 3 PM and balcony power station

Pippo

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a balcony power station. I use a 1PM for monitoring. This also works well.
I bought a Pro 3EM to monitor my consumption in the house. The aim is actually to use it to track my consumption and, ideally, the self-consumption of the solar system. However, I have the problem that the solar system is connected to phase B and also feeds into the grid there. However, consumption is still displayed on phases A and C, although the energy generated is much greater than the consumption. 

The problem seems to be that the Shelly Pro 3PM cannot balance. This falsifies the consumption evaluation and is of little use to me.

If I have read this correctly, there was probably a feature requst about this. Does anyone know what has become of it?

This image shows the problem: http://www.feuerwehr-lohfelden.de/uploads/media/imgsolar.jpg

44 minutes ago, Pippo said:

However, I have the problem that the solar system is connected to phase B and also feeds into the grid there. However, consumption is still displayed on phases A and C, although the energy generated is much greater than the consumption. 

For current consumption / export = power: if one phase is negative and 2 are positive this is completely ok.

The import/export is often uneven on the individual phases. However, this is not critical because the grid meter balances these values (with the exception of a few old digital meters that do not do this), i.e. if you export exactly 300 W on two phases and import exactly 600 W on the third, the meter counts 0 as consumption:

image.png.c10d4acf4ea4878562cfaab9f77b3df3.png

The current power is correct, the energy (over a certain period of time) is not correct if the device does not perform correct balancing.

The feature request regarding balancing is open, unfortunately there has been little feedback from Shelly so far.

• Thanks 1

• Members
Posted (edited)

It is quite simple that phases A and C must show a power consumption: Generated power (with phase B) is flowing in the grid via this phase only. But home consumers are distributed over all three phases. Hence, excess power in phase B is returned with phases A and B. The amount of energy is balanced in the electricity meter, in a manner that no energy from the grid is consumed in this operational state.

This is a fine example for what energy balancing is good for!

Edited by thgoebel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1