Visit us at IFA2024 / Besuche uns auf der IFA2024 06.-10.09.2024 Stand H1.2-420 ×
Shelly wiring diagram Now LIVE ×

Shelly Plus 1 - Switch Wire doesnt seem to work?

So i have wired one of these Shelly Plus 1's in the garage and it works perfectly. Using an automation, AND i can still use the manual light switch, which means in effect it works like a 2 way switch.

Now i have hooked up another and I can't work out why the Switch Wire light switch doesnt seem to do anything, like turn the device off or on at all.

Incoming

Original feed to extractor is L, N, SW and earth.

In the box connections

This has the SW connect to the SW on the shelly.

The Live feed connects to a 3 way wago, this goes to the L on the shelly and the input relay load on the shelly relay.

The Neutral goes to a 5 way wago. This goes to the snubber, the fan neutral side, the shelly neutral in

The 5 way Live Wago connected to the load out of the shelly bridges the snubber, then joins the SW and the L wires for the extractor fan. (Not enough room to fit the snubber at the fan end so its done here in the box. Its only a 50cm or so cable to the fan.

So not sure why the switch wire isn’t seeming to work as its from the original feed.

Earths are joined and then it is terminated as unused using a 2 way wago i managed to fit in the fan housing.

So no idea why the SW wouldn't be working.

I can’t work out at all why the switch Wire pulling the light switch in the bathroom does nothing. The SW works as expected in the garage setup. If the lights are on via the shelly remote, pressing the switch turns them off, if the lights are off remotely triggered, pressing the light switch on turns them on. Basically works like a 2 way light circuit.

If anyone has any ideas it would be amazing! Could it be a bad unit?

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Is the switch used to SW a switch with an indicator light?

Well it's the bathroom light. So it's easy to see the Pull cord working. you would pull the cord before, then the Pull cord would trigger the bathroom extractor to turn on, then it would stay on for X amount of time. 

So because the timer feature isn't much use now. the Fan side SW and L were merged. But the original wiring from the bathroom SW, N and L were unchanged. So i was expecting the Pull cord to operate the shelly correctly. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Can you please show with photos what the switch means

It's just a standard Pull cord bathroom switch. Does that help? Pull it and the lights go on, pull it again and the lights go off. Before the shelly it just turned on the bathroom extractor. 

SN8300-2-Way-Bathroom-Pull-Cord-Switch.j

Edited by Chris Marriott

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Okay, does the connection correspond to your sketch above or is there something else connected to the switch? Are you sure that L is switched?

Interesting. Well. You made me wonder for a minute then if the L and SW could be the other way around. However. if they were then surly the Shelly relay would be turned off? Because the SW wouldn't be a permanent live? 

The 3 Core + Earth cable. (SW, L, N, Earth) 

Grey (Blue tape) Neutral
Brown, L Must be the permanent live otherwise i would expect the shelly to turn off (Also, this was connected to the L on the Fan previously)
Black (Brown Tape) - SW, This was connected to the Fans SW previously.

So not really sure how it would be wrong given that those three were used on the fan previously. The Switch wire is not joined with anything else so it's the only thing coming from the Light switch pull cord as a SW.

image.png.c45b1b95bc1c913361ae08f9aea9f639.png

This was the original fan feeds. So hard to see how they could be wrong?

image.thumb.png.354b1d2efe8ad5761edd3baabe017b0e.png

Edited by Chris Marriott

• Shelly

Please show the connections Pull cord bathroom switch

and what is the status when the switch is on or off if you have set this setting:

Screenshot2024-06-24at18-23-39ShellyControl.png.341bb7b480dc48e6bf4059725003c929.png

I assume the red bar at the bottom doesn't change, right?

Screenshot2024-06-24at18-23-49ShellyControl.png.6750ab1d0664cf2ef4250f9663c14e87.png

Posted (edited)

So that Input state was off, tried it on and just highlights the button lighting up and off. In a red box i added. Same settings i believe that i'm using for the other one. 

Looks standard, live in live out?
image.thumb.png.b4221bce2581cbf38ca07a3e00ae6b95.png

image.thumb.png.0ce92489dcb8455e078f83af6fe927ea.png

image.thumb.png.edcf06cdbd56a00d6cb3399dd6ca9fef.png

Edited by Chris Marriott

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Olsche said:

Please show us the connections Pull cord bathroom switch

I added this above a photo showing it 🙂 The earth is just terminated and its Live in and Live out. None of this has changed. It worked perfectly before with the fan without the shelly.
image.thumb.png.02e4f00fbd7ce96064b783f95c5292a2.png

Edited by Chris Marriott

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Olsche said:

hmm, can you trace the cables on the pull cord bathroom switch? Brown is L in?  Example: Where does the blue cable with the brown sleeve end? Is it the switched L out?

I imagine this will go to the double poll isolator outside the bathroom then to the feed of the shelly. 

As said nothing has changed from the working setup of the bathroom light pull cord turning lights on and being a timed inline fan trigger. The only part that has changed is the fan was disconnected from L, N and SW & earth. And this fed directly in to the shelly, no other wiring was changed. 

This is what i am finding odd, almost like the SW terminal does not work on this shelly.

Edited by Chris Marriott

• Shelly

2 minutes ago, Chris Marriott said:

This is what i am finding odd, almost like the SW terminal does not work on this shelly.

Please try it out what happens if you remove the black cable on the SW of the Shelly and bridge the connection L with SW on the Shelly or put another switch between SW and L on the Shelly

similar to this:

image.png.94525be9d265db3b69f9ed22233f8a85.png

7 minutes ago, Olsche said:

Please try it out what happens if you remove the black cable on the SW of the Shelly and bridge the connection L with SW on the Shelly or put another switch between SW and L on the Shelly

similar to this:

image.png.94525be9d265db3b69f9ed22233f8a85.png

I've just managed to get pics inside the isolator. This goes up to the loft/roof where it's connected to the shelly.

image.thumb.png.cd3de9ac7b8821c8f090991cc761595a.png

image.thumb.png.ea2f83da5f7657f281b116f5e8c85ae0.png

• Shelly

Missing the blue cable with the brown sleeve end here... What else does the "Isolator" do?

Did you check it?:

3 hours ago, Chris Marriott said:

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Olsche said:

Missing the blue cable with the brown sleeve end here... What else does the "Isolator" do?

Did you check it?:

The isolator is just a standard isolator. To turn off the Fan from the bathroom lighting. 

I have no idea when you say it's missing. What i am saying is that it worked fine previously. However it is setup. There maybe another connection to the lights i've not seen yet But as i said clearly. The wires that went to the existing fan are Live, Neutral, Earth AND a Switch wire. So it's hard to think there is anything remotely wrong with the pull cord, isolator because it's worked fine for 11 years and was working before connecting the Shelly.

I've not tried bridging the L and SW on the shelly. What will that show? Will it not just turn on the Shelly output permanently unless fitting a switch between it? 

I still feel uncomfortable messing with the wiring for the light, or the Isolator because as i stated it was working 100% correctly and it's not been changed about. So i do not want to introduce issues.

It will likely be missing the Blue and brown sleeve also there because the standard lighting circuit for the first floor will be Blue, Brown and Earth. 

Those cables will meet at the isolator from the standard lighting circuit, then the Brown, black and grey sleeved ones will be joined on the bathroom lighting, to then go to the Isolator and then to the Fan using 3Core + earth cable rather than 2Core and earth cable for the first floor lighting.

I guess i'll have to take out the SW from the shelly, get a stand alone light switch socket for testing and wire the L and SW via a switch to confirm the SW port has failed or doesnt work. 

As said it's very odd that given the feed to the Fan was 100% fine it seems most odd that there is even an issue.

Edited by Chris Marriott