🌟 NEW Shelly Products Reveal Video! 🌟 NEUE Shelly-Produkte-Enthüllungsvideo! 🌟 ×
NOTICE / HINWEIS: iOS 18 Update and Today Widgets ×

220 VAC Dust Collector

I am moving my dust collection unit to a different area and will need to remotely turn it on and off.

This is in the USA, so it runs on two 110 VAC lines.  I was thinking a Pro 2 would do the job and turn on the unit with a couple of different Shelly buttons that are around the shop.

Would this work to turn on both phases at the same time?   is there a different product?

Thanks, Tim

• Members

Tim, could you provide a sketch how the dust collector is attached to the mains actually? Is this done with three wires (two live wires and one neutral wire)? Or does the appliance need two live wires only?

• Shelly

Hi Tim

You won't be able to synchronize the two lines to engage at once - and remember that one of the two wires is always acting as the circuit's return path, so you REALLY don't want to deenergize the two wires individually.

You need to use a contactor. Nearly any Shelly product can trigger the contactor's coil. A Shelly product with the PM designation should trigger when the Sine wave crosses the zero line, minimizing the impact of inrush current from the coil. 

• Members

Addendum: Shelly 1PM and plus 1PM (Gen2) don’t offer this nice feature due to technical restrictions. Shelly 1PM Gen3 and Shelly mini 1PM are able to detect zero crossing. „Pro“ series Shellies and Shelly plus 2PM also…

• Thanks 1

• Shelly
1 hour ago, thgoebel said:

Addendum: Shelly 1PM and plus 1PM (Gen2) don’t offer this nice feature due to technical restrictions. Shelly 1PM Gen3 and Shelly mini 1PM are able to detect zero crossing. „Pro“ series Shellies and Shelly plus 2PM also…

Thank you! I need to take the time to make sure I type exactly what I mean or else I'll steer customers in the wrong direction and this could have been a disaster for Tim.

PS - Tim, you can use RC Snubber with second gen products and the 3rd gen products that don't have PM designation. You'd wire it between A1 and A2 (the line and nuetral connections on the contactor's coil)

@thgoebel  - two live 110 VAC and one ground, the motor can run 110 or 220VAC, In the 110 mode it is pulling 16 Amps that would limit most all the Shelly devices.  Looks like the 2PM could handle it??  

@Doug Roberson - I was thinking a contactor or relay also.   I was hoping I was not overlooking something.  

Thank you for your thoughts on this. 

• Shelly
29 minutes ago, Tim Fitzpatrick said:

@thgoebel  - two live 110 VAC and one ground, the motor can run 110 or 220VAC, In the 110 mode it is pulling 16 Amps that would limit most all the Shelly devices.  Looks like the 2PM could handle it??  

@Doug Roberson - I was thinking a contactor or relay also.   I was hoping I was not overlooking something.  

Thank you for your thoughts on this. 

At 120vac/16 amp, the inrush spike (even with snubber) would kick off the safety functions in Plus 1PM. You'll want a contactor whether you run it on 120vac or 240vac. 

You can use any contactor you like (rated for the load), though. A $20 HVAC contactor off Amazon paired with a Mini 1PM Gen3 will be a really good setup for very low cost.