1.4.0 beta version for Gen2+ Shelly devices released / 1.4.0 Betaversion für Gen2+ Shelly-Geräte veröffentlicht ×

Shelly BLU H&T- Update logic and battery lifetime in beacon mode

Hello,

I have two questions:

1. Does the device automatically send updates if either the temperature or humidity does change within a threshold frame, e.g. change of t > 0.5°C, and if so, are there different thresholds that can be defined for temperature and humidity?
  2. If the device is set to beacon mode, how frequently is it sending updates and what does this mean in terms of battery lifetime?

Best, Oliver

• Integrators

Hi @Oliver Linden

From what I know the device sends a status check every 11 seconds. It then updates the log when a change is found. See the below example. 
image.thumb.png.c7ca978a136fb716382f1661012aa6a7.png
This device does not have a beacon mode like the other devices. 

I've also some trouble with Blu H&T I've bought couple of days ago. First I wasn't sure if the bluetooth performance is really poor because device sometimes doesen't send values for couple of hours - also if there were changes in temperature or humidity...but if pressing the button value was received immediately. 

I moved the H&T couple of times and activated bluetooth gateway function on other Shellys in the area - situation doesn't improve much. In my actual test-setup a Shelly 2PM is 2 meters from the H&T with only one window between. Also in this setup sometimes no values although temperature and/or humidity is changeing. 
Next thing I've tried is to reflash sensor firmware 1.0.16 with the Shelly BLE Debug-App - this I did yesterday and I'd i have no longterm experience, but I'd say stability improved...I can't see a pattern if device is sending values on a fixed timebase or when temperature and/or humidity are changeing - but since yesterday values are present latest within one hour.

In the official datasheet it is written that sensor is sending values each 11 seconds - in the official Shelly API documentation you can read "the device emits BTHome data packets every 1 minute with the currently measured sensor values" - as well as "There are no device specific settings. Beacon mode is always active. It is the main function on the device". 

I my assumption maybe initial firmware 1.0.16 is somehow litte kind of "buggy" - looking forwared for potential improvements

On 6/3/2024 at 12:00 PM, Heinz said:

Hi @Oliver Linden

From what I know the device sends a status check every 11 seconds. It then updates the log when a change is found. See the below example. 
image.thumb.png.c7ca978a136fb716382f1661012aa6a7.png
This device does not have a beacon mode like the other devices. 

Hi @Heinz 

thank you for your reply. Your module is a WiFi enabled one that - indicated by your log file - obviously sends updates on any change of the measured values.

But I'm unsure about the behavior of the Bluetooth only version. Sending updates on a fixed interval of 11 seconds doesn't sound energy efficient. Therefore I'm keen to understand the logic/methodology. With the ability to set thresholds energy consumption could be massively influenced and with this battery lifetime.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:27 PM, Jochen said:

I've also some trouble with Blu H&T I've bought couple of days ago. First I wasn't sure if the bluetooth performance is really poor because device sometimes doesen't send values for couple of hours - also if there were changes in temperature or humidity...but if pressing the button value was received immediately. 

I moved the H&T couple of times and activated bluetooth gateway function on other Shellys in the area - situation doesn't improve much. In my actual test-setup a Shelly 2PM is 2 meters from the H&T with only one window between. Also in this setup sometimes no values although temperature and/or humidity is changeing. 
Next thing I've tried is to reflash sensor firmware 1.0.16 with the Shelly BLE Debug-App - this I did yesterday and I'd i have no longterm experience, but I'd say stability improved...I can't see a pattern if device is sending values on a fixed timebase or when temperature and/or humidity are changeing - but since yesterday values are present latest within one hour.

In the official datasheet it is written that sensor is sending values each 11 seconds - in the official Shelly API documentation you can read "the device emits BTHome data packets every 1 minute with the currently measured sensor values" - as well as "There are no device specific settings. Beacon mode is always active. It is the main function on the device". 

I my assumption maybe initial firmware 1.0.16 is somehow litte kind of "buggy" - looking forwared for potential improvements

Hi @Jochen
interesting observations. Please keep us posted about new findings!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the sensors sends update every 1 minute and don't have any beacon mode to be activated, it is its standars functioning mode (see https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/docs-ble/Devices/ht/).

About the missing trasmissions (for hours), the problem is not on the sensor side but instead the receiver (the gateway) side. Other guys experienced the same issues (see for example https://www.reddit.com/r/ShellyUSA/comments/1d26our/shelly_blu_ht_first_impressions/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/ShellyUSA/comments/1d7x4m5/shelly_blu_ht_missing_transmission/ that is me 😉)

I opened a ticket though the support, they told me that their are working on it.

Let us see...

Edited by Dani

On 6/24/2024 at 5:05 PM, Dani said:

About the missing trasmissions (for hours), the problem is not on the sensor side but instead the receiver (the gateway) side.

I confirm... I tested several Shelly types as gateway. All tested standard Gen 2 shelly showed these long gaps in receiving beacons from BLU H&T (and BLU Motion in beacon mode).

I tried Shelly Plus 1, 2PM, Plug-S, UNI and even the USB gateway. Now I use a Mini 1 Gen 2 and it receives continuously every 3..4 minutes in between, but at least no hours lasting gaps.

Edited by Lapu-Lapu