Gen2 Devices: FW Update Required / Gen2 Geräte: FW-Update erforderlich ×

8amp fire hazard

Posted (edited)

How is the Shelly 1 mo I gen 3 supposed to work in the US? I'm seeing YouTube that people are steering clear of purchasing since we use 15amp breakers. That one more amps than it's rated work which means during surge or failure it could catch fire.

What's the story here and why isn't there more information on the eight amp rating?

Edited by cdoublejj

• cdoublejj changed the title to 8amp fire hazard
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Shelly

Good morning!

I think you're making this more complicated than is warranted.

Whenever you install an electrical product, you make sure that the load doesn't exceed the product's capacity.

An example is Shelly Plus 2PM, which has already completed UL certification. Each of the two relays in the device is rated for 8 amps.

Use the product in a manner consistent with its specs and manufacturer's recommendations and you're fine.

Also, please note that YouTube videos only monetize when people are watching them. What's going to get more views - one of countless videos on how to use a product correctly or a video of an idiot applying 15 amps to a product rated for 8 amps? People are going to watch because they want to see if the idiot starts a fire.

• Like 1