🌟 NOTIFICATION/Benachrichtigung: Welcome to our New Store! - shelly.com 🌟 ×

BLU Motion Blind Time malfunctioning?

I have 3 BLU motion connected to a Shelly Mini Gen 3. Their purpose is to switch on the light in a corridor and stairway when ppl walking in and out, to the cellar, etc. All 3 sensors are less than 10m away from the Mini with no major obstacles in their way (thin wooden door, glasss, but no walls). Switching of the light is implemented as a Scene in the Mini.

The LEDs in the sensors indicate, that they are properly detecting every motion. However, the switch is not properly triggered all the time and I suspect this is an issue with the blind time of the sensors: min. Blind Time you can configure is 30sec. It looks like this is not counted from the last signalling to the Mini but actually from the last motion detected. Meaning: if you're moving around in sight of the same sensor, it will only fire once until you leave for at leadt 30sec. As a result, the light turns off automatically after a while and will never turn on again until you leave the sensor alone for a while. 

My expectation would be, that the sensor continues to detect alls motion (as it does), but only sends 1 action to the Mini every 30 sec (or any other configured interval) but does not keept that information for itself. 

Anyone here who can explain the behavior and ideally has a workaround for me? 

BTW: I understand that scenes are cloud-hosted and executed. Not ideal, but simple to set up and works usually fine. While my Mini looses Wifi signal once in a while (visible in the app), the behavior described above also happens when the Mini is properly connected to the Wifi (verified via app) and verified then by triggering another sensor of which the blind time has already run out. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Snappy,

I have the same problem and after some testig I am pretty shure it is exactly as you described but I don't know any workaroud for it yet.
I also noticed that the blu motion led is longer when outside of the "blind time" and then fires immediatly.

I also tried using the actions inside my M1 mini Gen 3 insted of the cloud to prevent the problem with internet connectivity but that doesn't change anything.

If I turn on the debugging I don't see any movement triggerd during the blind time and beyond when a motion accured (with short blinking led) during that time.

I hope someone or a firmwareupdate can change it...

Hi Snappy,

I've researched a bit and it seems that we got the function of the blind time wrong.
I've found this video: https://support.shelly.cloud/en/support/solutions/articles/103000308252-how-to-use-shelly-blu-motion-set-up-blind-time-

So apparently you'le have to use two actions. One when the motion is detected which turns your Relais on, and the other when there is no more motion detected. And here comes the blind time in handy. This defines the minimum time for the relais to be "on".
And as we discovered the time gets reset every time a motion is detected.

As I've mentioned earlier I've setup two actions directly on my Mini1G3 so I dont have to rely on a internet connection.
The first turns the relais on when Motion is true, and the second turns the relais off when the motion is false.

It seems to work fine now.

But I think that only works fine if you pare a single blu motion with relais, if you have a long room and need more motion sensors that won't help you because there will always be a sensor which doesnt detect motion any more.

• 3 weeks later...

your video didn't help. I am using sensor for light control and lights stays ON only if you do not leave the area it can detect you during next blind time interval e.g every 150 seconds. If you leave the room and come back for example after 180 seconds (light is still on because delay time for OFF is also 150 seconds), sensor indicates presence immediately, and logically time for lights ON should reset or scene for OFF deactivate. But no, it doesn't matter, because the OFF command was already triggered 🙂 And when sensor turns lights OFF you have to wait 150 seconds in the darkness 🙂

Shit product 2/10

Edited by Lukmin
mistakes in grammar